Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Just thinkin....... (again)

"If you heart takes mare pleasure in reading novel, watching tv, going to the movies, or talking to friends rather than sitting with God, sharing His cares and His burdens, weeping and rejoicing with Him, then how are you going to handle forever in His presence...if you're not ecstatic about Him now?" -Keith Green
(recently posted by my brother - thanks, Sherwood!)

Kinda makes you think, huh?
Reminds me of a verse -

Psalm 37:4, Delight thyself in the Lord, and He shall give thee the desires of your heart.
How much time do I spend 'delighting' myself in the Lord?
Do I spend time with Him because He's my best friend and I can't wait to be with Him, or because I have list if things that I 'need' to ask Him for?
It's kind of like someone marrying someone they have never met, or met only once or twice - people don't usually do that, because in general, you don't choose to spend the rest of your life with someone you know nothing about.
So why would I choose to spend eternity with Someone I know nothing about?
Just as we took time to get to know our spouse before we married him or her, we need to spend time with God, get to know Him, before we go to spend forever with Him.
Is it wrong to ask Him for things? No, the Bible says to 'make your requests known'. But do we spend more time asking for things, or just stopping to chat - and taking time to listen?
Besides, I think if we spent more time 'delighting' in God, we might begin to see more of our requests coming to pass.

Just my thoughts - you can take 'em or leave 'em!

2 comments:

Amy said...

good thought. keep thinkin aloud, its good for everyone to hear those questions.

Brittany said...

Great thoughts, Gillian, and very well said.